Re: 3rd Photo Group

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by James Turner on February 28, 2003 at 17:01:02:

In Reply to: 3rd Photo Group posted by James Turner on February 11, 2003 at 21:14:02:

I have several photos including one of several pilots looking over a map of Algerie. Names on the back are hard to read: Roy Matthes, Bill Marless, Dan Paciella, Warren Villot, Joe Sietler, Charlie Myers, Johnny Flora, Alb?? Knox, Stan Hill (Brittish) Anyone know these guys? Anyone know of a Lt. "Crash" Nelson, Lt. Davis, Photos of them in airplane cockpits. Have a photo of " photo operations" in Ari??? showing plane no.s and status. These are intellegence - the mission board that Lt. Freeman and Lt. Gr?ison list several ID numbers for the airplanes and the status. The photos are in an album from around 1944 with photos of "Susie Q" "Home Run" "Snoozin Susan" crews and lots of other photos, Gen Eisenhower, Col. Elliott Roosevelt. My son-in law's grandfather was there. I haven't gotten all the photos from him yet. His name was Frank Tolbert. Don't know his rank or if was a pilot or in intellengence - yet. If anyone knows of a "Frank Tolbert" or wants a copy of the photos I am scanning onto my computer to share with family and friends of these soldiers let me know. I can e-mail it. These photos are from the 3rd Photo Group, which included (I assume from the large photo)the: Fifth, Twelfth, and Fifteenth bomb squads. One photo of Lt. Freeman and Lt.Gruison(?)- (hard to read) at Operations in Ari????- hard to read. Looking at a map in front of a blackboard. The status of several airplanes on the board must be intellengence/recon since I can see they have not only the status of the airplanes but what kind of camera equipment they have onboard. Here are the numbers of planes on the board that I can make out: 42-13286 no info written on the chalkboard. 42-13304 pilot: Coghlan 42-13308 pilot: Gleason 42-13122 pilot: O'Brien 42-13297 no info 42-13273 no info 42-13086 pilot: Erb 42-13071 no info 42-13092 no info 41-2371 pilot: Grierson 41-2184 pilot: Leder?? p-38g no info Also have several photos of a Lt. Erwin that says on the back of one: "Lt. Erwin - killed 6-7-43, crashed into Med. Sea. If anyone knows his folks I would like to send them copies of his photos, I'm sure they'd like to see him in WW2. I just found a place on the web where I can post the photos instead of having to e-mail them. Click on this link: http://www.photocountry.com/viewmyphotos.asp?UserId=6819&Pwd=tom726 Thanks everyone, God Bless America

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: 3rd Photo Group

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]