Did you know Irwin Seymour?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by Henry Seymour on December 30, 2000 at 19:47:48:

I am trying to write the family history about one of my uncle's and unfortunately I don't know much more about him than appears on his Honorable Discharge paper. The St. Louis Records Center doesn't have his record, presumably it was lost in the fire. All other attempts to find information at the recommended sources, Veterans organization, VFW, home lenders, etc. have not turned up anything.

My basic problem is determining in what BG and BS he might have served. He began his service in Keesler Field, MS and served in the Pacific the last year of the war. Family members say that he told them that he saw a flash from an atomic bomb blast. I don't know which one. So he was in the air over Japan on August 6th or 9th.

Does anyone remember him?

He is Irwin James Seymour
born 18 Jan 1918, Biloxi, MS
died 12 Aug 1986, Biloxi, MS

He joined the Army 26 Aug 1941 at Camp Shelby, MS and served at Keesler Field, Biloxi, MS at least through 29 Mar 44. He was somewhere in the Pacific from 7 Apr 1945 to 17 Nov 1945. He was discharged at Maxwell Field, AL on 28 November 1945.

He attended Aerial Gunnery school in Laredo, TX but I don't know when. His discharge paper states that he was associated with the 1505 AAF Base Unit, Mather Field, California.

He participated in Air Offensive Japan (17 Apr 42-2 Sep 45), Eastern Mandates (7 Dec 43-16 Apr 44), Western Pacific (17 Apr 44-2 Sep 45), China Offensive (5 May 45-2 Sep 45), Ryukyus (26 Mar 45-2 Jul 45). These dates are for the length of the campaigns not how long he was there.

He received the following decorations. This is the way it they were listed on the discharge paper: American Defense Ribbon, American Theater Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal SO 89 Pr 39 Keesler Fld Miss 29 Mar 44, Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon w/5 Bronze Stars, WW2 Victory Medal TWX M-20E 3216 26 Oct 45. Also, in the block, "Military Qualification and date" was entered, "AAF Air Crew Badge (wings)".

He departed the US on 7 Apr 45 for APT and arrived on 14 Apr 45. He then departed APT on 11 Nov 45 and arrived in the US on 17 Nov 45 and then he was discharged on 28 Nov 45. He is thought to have been in flight over Japan during the time of the dropping of the A-bomb, but not part of the main A-bomb squadron. Also, he is thought to have served on a B-24 as a tail gunner but might also have been a Flight Engineer because his occupational specialty was Flt Maint Gnr 748.

On his discharge in the section 55.Remarks there are two lines:
No time lost under AW 107
ASR Score 2 Sep 45 (SO) this might be SQ?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Henry Seymour

Please email to me at:
seymour@hiwaay.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Did you know Irwin Seymour?

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]