Re: My Father-Charles Glaze

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by Cy Klimesh on June 18, 2000 at 10:18:29:

In Reply to: My Father-Charles Glaze posted by Charlie Glaze on June 17, 2000 at 14:39:13:

This, from June 2000 2nd Sqd. Newsletter:

At 1045 hours, while flying out of Wakde Island on an eight-plane
strike against Ransiki Airdrome, located on the north shore of New
Guinea's Geelvink Bay, B-24-120 #42-109974 was hit by AA fire over
the target while flying at 7500 feet. The #1 and 4 engines were
damaged and the bombardier had his abdomen ripped open by shrapnel.
With the #1 engine on fire, the pilot dove 5000 feet to extinguish
the flame. He also managed to feather the other engine. The plane
steadily lost altitude while distress signals were being radioed and
the crew worked to jettison unnecessary equipment to lighten the
Liberator. With the plane at an altitude of only 200 feet some 20
minutes after being hit, the #1 engine froze. 1/Lt. William J.
Amos, the pilot, soon notified the crew to prepare for ditching, and
the injured bombardier was moved to the rear of the plane. At 1130
hours, with only one engine functioning, the pilot cut the power and
ditched the plan in Geelvink Bay, about 40 miles south of Noemfoor
Island. The B-24 broke in two at the waist windows and the impact
split open the cockpit longitudinally, freeing the pilot and the
co-pilot. The turret was dislodged, temporarily trapping three men,
who managed to free themselves after about 30 seconds. The
bombardier, his life vest probably inflated by someone in the back
of the plane, was ejected when the plan broke in two. Four men in
the back of the Liberator, who apparently had braced themselves
against the rear bulkhead of the bomb bay for the crash, went down
with the plane when it sank in about four minutes. The pilot
released the life raft before the plane sank and the survivors
climbed aboard, several with minor scratches and suffering from
shock. An emergency radio set and a seat parachute pack where
recovered, and attempts were made to signal their location, but
apparently without success. The bombardier died of his injuries
late in the afternoon and was buried at sea. It rained for several
hours the next morning, but when it stopped the men started rowing
towards Noemfoor Island. Ninety minutes later they tried to signal
a low-flying b-25 which passed a mile to the south, but without
success. Late in the afternoon a searching PBY Catalina finally
spotted them and landed. Besides the pilot, the survivors were
2/Lt. William A. Rush, co-pilot; 2/Lt. Louis F. Moore, navigator;
S/Sgt. Harold W. Talley, aerial engineer, and S/Sgt. Ben M.
Gonzales, radio operator. They where flown to Owi Island and
admitted to the 92nd Evacuation Hospital. The pilot and co-pilot
were released for duty the next morning while the other three
survivors remained hospitalized for a couple of more days.

Bishop, 2/Lt. James K. Bombardier
Smith, Sgt. Harold H. Assistant Aerial Engineer
Martindale, Cpl. C Assistant Radio Operator
Glaze, Sgt. Charles C.,Jr. Aerial Gunner
Crane, Sgt. William J. Aerial Gunner
Keep 'em Flying!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup


Subject: Re: Re: My Father-Charles Glaze


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]