My dad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by Kathy Maboll on February 20, 2000 at 06:37:13:

Hi,
My dad, Philip Maboll, was a pilot with the Red Raiders when they were stationed in New Guinea. He never talked much to his family about the war, but when we found this website, he started to remember all kinds of stories about the people he knew in the Raiders, and the things that happpened. He has lots of pictures, too; some of them include some of the planes on this website.
My dad told several stories about a guy named 'Scrappy' Evans. Scrappy was short, and he had been a professional boxer before the war. He and another pilot got into a disagreement over how low a bomber could fly, so they had a competitition to prove who was right. On the way home from a bombing mission, Scrappy flew his plane so low he scraped the bomb bay doors on the beach. My dad said Scrappy got the plane home alright, but that bomber never flew again.
On another mission, Scrappy's plane was hit and crashed in shallow water off one of the islands they often flew over. Everyone got out ok, but you could see the plane clearly under the shallow water off the island.
If anyone knows what happened to Scrappy, or if you would like to contact me or my dad, I would like to hear from you. My sister and I are trying to get my dad's photographs organized, and we hope that way to find some of the people in these pictures so we can share them with you all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: My dad

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]