Re: former 22nd at Langley

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by Bobbie Willis Halpenny on January 18, 2000 at 17:07:22:

In Reply to: former 22nd at Langley posted by Marty Benoff on November 15, 1999 at 09:01:29:

My father was Billie G. Willis from Dallas,Texas. I believe he was in the group you refer to in your message. He died January 15,1998. I found a book from 1943 called "The Marauder" showing him in two pictures taken in Muroc before leaving with the 22nd (19th sq) for the SW Pacific. He never talked much about the war except to say he had been a tail gunner, worked on planes and was a flight engineer--he left the South Pacific in '43, so I'm not sure when or where these tasks were performed. I have his medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross. His pilot was Lt Willis C. Bumgarner and from his notations in the book, other crew members were William D. Derringer, Jr., Maj Barrie C. Burnside, possibly Arthur Seifres and Lt. John Mc Cheaney (the book has some damage--I cannot read the last names well.) If you can find someone near you who has a copy of the "Marauder" you might enjoy looking at it. I would like to have a photcopy of it to enable me to read parts of many pages because of the damage. The book gives a history of their experiences from '41 to '43 including many pictures, a list of deaths, missing, and medals awarded for the squadrons in the 22nd during that period. I have not had a response from anyone who knew my father (from an inquiry last year.) He retired as a CWO 3, Civil Engineering at Homestead AFB in 1965. If there is someone specific you would like me to look up in the book, I'll be happy to. Bobbie Willis Halpenny

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: former 22nd at Langley

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]