Re: Shoo Shoo Baby

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by David S. McDuffee on February 06, 2004 at 06:09:41:

In Reply to: Shoo Shoo Baby posted by Charles M. Shawver on March 27, 2003 at 18:15:52:

My Uncle was Paul G. McDuffee Sr., who was the first pilot for the B-17G Shoo Shoo Baby that presently resides at the Wright-Patterson USAF Museum in Dayton OH. (42-32076) There is some confusion about the name due to the fact that there was another B-17, an F model called the Shoo Shoo Baby and also a B-24 Liberator too. My Uncle flew his last 13 Missions (giving him 30) in the Shoo Shoo Baby. What is not well known is that in 1939 Paul joined the US Army Air Corps and was "washed out" of flight training because he did not have the ability to be a pilot. He then went to Canada and because Britan was at war he was trained as a RCAF Pilot in the RAF. He flew 23 (I think) bombing missions for the Canadian Air Force and when the US got into the war he came back to the US as a seasoned bomber pilot. After his 30th US mission, including 2 over Berlin, he buzzed the field so low he got fence wire caught in the tail wheel. In January of 2004 the plane had my Uncle's map to Belin inside of it at the navigator's table. I thought this might be of interest. Thanks, Dave McDuffee

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Shoo Shoo Baby

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]