Re: Lowery Mission to Lae - May 25, 1942

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]

Posted by Edward Rogers on December 19, 2003 at 14:25:38:

In Reply to: Lowery Mission to Lae - May 25, 1942 posted by Edward Rogers on May 21, 2003 at 20:18:34:

Records that I obtained through the Historical Research Agency at Maxwell Air Force Base confirms that a Lt. Don C. Mitchell was the sole survivor of a 13th Squadron B-25 crew that was shot down on May 25, 1942 after completing a bomb run over Lae airfield. Lt. Mitchell was the co-pilot in Lt. Arden Rulsion�s B-25 #41-12466 �Oscar XIII.� The single piece of information on a document states, �8 June 1942, Lt. Donald C. Mitchell - suffering from burns and a leg injury � safe at Mubo, Northeast of New Guinea.� Furthermore, two 13th Squadron veterans have also verified Caidin�s account of Mitchell�s last second escape. My apologies to the late Martin Caidin.

My thanks to Lynn Gamma and Lt. Brandon Hemphill of the HRA for their time and help.

Mitchell was apparently living in Evanston, IL soon after leaving Australia. My attempts at trying to contact him or his descendants have so far proven unsuccessful.

Can someone tell me where and when Walt Krell attended flight school?

Edward Rogers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Lowery Mission to Lae - May 25, 1942

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Red Raiders Message Board ]